Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Mixed Messages

Yummm.  Tomato sauce and broccoli.  Mmmmm.  Second dinner was tasty!  Now I'm going to sit on my couch.  I love  my couch, I can rest my chin on the side and look at Mom and Dad while they look at the picture box.  I don't like that box so much, sometimes it flashes and makes noises too loud.  So I sit and look at my family.  Maybe snooze a little......  Huh?  Mom is raising her voice.  She's pointing at the box.  Dad and Mom are talking a little loud and Mom seems upset.  See?  I told you I don't like that box!

It was a commercial for beer.  I had seen it before and was appalled, so when it came on with my  husband in the room I asked him if he saw it the same way I did.  He agreed.




The ad shows a dog being left alone at home.  The owner goes out for the evening.  The owner has too much to drink and someone drives him.........somewhere.  He does not go home.  The dog is left alone all night long.  Ok.  So I understand that it is a good thing not to drink and drive.  However, it is NOT a good thing to leave your dog alone all night long.  That is also irresponsible.  Why wasn't the owner driven home?  Why didn't the owner take a cab?  Why didn't the owner have someone else dog sit?  So, thanks, beer company, for pointing out to people that drunk driving is dangerous, but did you have to do it at the expense of an innocent dog?  Are we, the audience, supposed to "like" your fictitious owner?  "I'm home....I'm home."  Yeah, great.  That is in the advertising world.  In the REAL world, that pup might have messed in the house, on the rug, on the furniture.  He might have decided to rip up a piece of furniture or two.  Our "owner" wouldn't be too pleased with himself in that case.  This ad shows neglect and a lack of caring while at the same time showing a "perfect" dog in a "perfect" world, so it's alright to leave your dog alone all night.  It is manipulative and ultimately cruel.  

So, people who may go out for an evening and drink too much:  Please don't drive drunk.  Also, please do NOT leave your dog unattended throughout the night.  Get driven home by a friend or a taxi or call a friend to baby sit while you are out.  THAT is responsible dog ownership.

No comments:

Post a Comment